Friday, August 22, 2008

Brown Rice & Mango Salad with Citrus Soy Dressing


When I was coming up with the menu for my party last week, my client asked for some sort of rice salad to be added. They weren't sure what they wanted so I looked at my menu and figured I'd keep it pretty clean and healthy. I also wanted to keep the vegetarians happy as well as offer some soakage for the drink. Trust an Irishman to think of that!

Recipe:
4 servings
3 cups cooked brown rice (about 1 1/4 cup dry)
1 mango, peeled and chopped
4 scallions (green onions)

Dressing:
2 tbsp. tamari (soy sauce)
1 tbsp fresh lime juice
1 tsp. fresh ginger - minced
2 tbsp. fresh lime zest
1 tbsp. honey (agave)
2 tbsp. olive oil
Blend all the dressing ingredients together in a blender except olive oil. With machine on add olive oil slowly to emulsify the dressing. Season with S&P to taste.
To assemble the dish, mix rice, chopped mango and scallions together. Add enough dressing to bind and flavor the rice. Taste and season with S&P. Serve at room temp.
Try serving this at your next barbecue. It's a great healthy dish to serve in place of the heavy mayonnaise based salads like potato salad or coleslaw. Another great advantage of not having mayo is that it'll last longer outside with the warm weather.
If, however you're in Ireland right now, you're having one of the wettest summer's ever so this doesn't affect you, tough!

1 comment:

boogichild said...

I made this today and....YUM! I love this idea of a non-mayo salad. I bet it becomes a part staple around here. Thanks!