Tuesday, February 5, 2008

PANCAKE TUESDAY

Shrove Tuesday or as I know it, Pancake Tuesday, is a day I always looked forward to as a child. I remember coming home from school knowing we were going to get pancakes after our dinner. These are not the typical American style pancakes but more like the French style, crepes (a thin version). They are traditionally served fresh from the pan with sugar and lemon juice. Man they were good! Shrove Tuesday is a term used in Ireland, the UK and Australia and marks the day before Lent, also known as Mardi Gras (Fat Tuesday). The reason pancakes are associated with the day before Lent is that the 40 days of Lent is a time of fasting when all the rich foods like eggs, flour, milk and sugar are not eaten. As it turns out these are the ingredients for making........... pancakes. You've got to love the thinking behind this tradition. Let's eat lots of sugar and then fast for 40 days afterwards, sound like a plan?

Though this recipe is not for a traditional 'Pancake Tuesday' pancake, it's a healthy alternative to the American pancakes. I'd love to give you the recipe but it's so good that it's top secret. Everyone I've made these for loves them and the fact that they're low-fat and full of goodness amazes people. Unfortunately unless you come by my house for breakfast you'll have to trust me on that.

No comments: